Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Wir fahr'n, fahr'n, fahr'n auf der Autobahn

As I said in the previous post, I fancied a little solo late 60s Cold War Commander.

For the Brits I chose to deploy a squadron (4 models) of Chieftain Mk2, a battalion of infantry in FV432s, some Abbotts in support, a recce Ferret and of course my new Landrover/Swingfire combo.

For the Soviets I have a little more choice.  This time I went with three IT-130s, three T-34/85s, three BTR-60Ps with infantry and three 122mm towed howitzers.  Oh, and a PT-76 in the recce role.

The terrain was an anonymous section of West Germany crossed by an autobahn.  I'm playing the Exploitation scenario from the book.  The attacking British are a little over 2000 points, the Soviets just over 1000.


And you know what, it's great fun.  Having played a couple of turns I came upstairs to start typing this posting and sort out some paperwork but I couldn't resist going back for another, midnight-ending turn which culminated in the Soviet CO rolling a command blunder and getting himself suppressed by friendly fire just as the British infantry crossed the central reservation of the autobahn.

More tomorrow!


7 comments:

Kaptain Kobold said...

But did you listen to Autobahn as you played?

Tales from Shed HQ said...

I fancy having a go at some 1960's/1970's games. What stats did you use for your Landrover/Swingfire combo?
Cheers
Richard P

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Before us is a wide valley The sun is shining with glittering rays!

Counterpane said...

Kaptain,

Sorry, no. No Kraftwerk at all at Stately Counterpane Manor.

Counterpane said...

Richard,

There are Landcover/Beeswing stats in the CWC book. I believe Beeswing is basically the same missile as Swingfire.

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Thanks Richard I have never noticed the Beeswing reference.

Tales from Shed HQ said...

According to CWC army lists you could have a maximum of three in a Battlegroup. One down two to go ;-)
Cheers
Richard P