Saturday, November 29, 2014

Kursk, 1943

Last night Jamie, George and I ran a game for the kids at Bradfield Dungworth School's Christmas Fair.  Having done mostly fantasy previously (we did do some Roman Gladiator stuff once) it was interesting to see their response to a historical game.  In short, enthusiastic!


In a smidgen over two hours we played about ten game turns and completely burned through my collection of T-34s.  In fact the couple of dozen suitable models that I brought ran out and we had to switch from marking "kills" with brown hamster bedding to removing them so the models could be recycled.

Having charged the kids to "buy" the toys they used in the game (from a £1 T-34 to a £2.50 Ferdinand) I was very pleased that we raised over £30 for PFA funds.

No photos of the game in action, I'm afraid - we were too busy keeping the game running with as many a seven young players at one time.

The rules used were a cut down version of Arc of Fire.  I converted all distances into cm and categorised all guns as Big (88mm, 85mm, long 75mm), Medium (76mm, 75mm L/48), Small (57mm, 50mm), and Tiny (anti-tank rifle).  No Modes were used, and morale rolls and TAC rolls were replaced by a simple roll-an-odd-number-to-pass system.

In the end the Soviets had made more progress across the board (albeit by sending unsupported tanks through a wood) so I gave them the victory.

6 comments:

Fire at Will said...

Sounds like a great game for all involved

Counterpane said...

It was certainly intense. And tough on the voice being right next to speakers playing Xmas music!

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Glad it went well, hope your ears recover soon :-)

Andy Canham said...

Hi Richard,

What sort of ages were the kids. I've been thinking of doing something similar at my sons primary school, but was wondering how they would cope with the rules and I would cope with sticky fingers on my toys.

Cheers, Andy

Counterpane said...

Andy,

I've just checked with Millie and she says that the kids were in years 2 through 6 (so I guess six to ten years of age).

I've had very little damaged over the years but on this occasion I didn't bring my StuG III as I didn't think the side skirts would stand the handling.

As regard the rules, keep em simple. This is as much for your sake - you can't be constantly stopping to look stuff up.

Andy Canham said...

Thanks Richard. Charlie's in Yr2 so would be at the youngest end of the range. I'm a parent governor at the school so could be a good way for me to make a positive contribution. A couple of the teaching assistants in the school are Troops for Teachers trainees so might be interested in helping run a modern game. Will make some enquiries. Cheers, Andy